Saturday, January 14, 2012

Golden Globes Predictions and Favorites

So the televised movie award season basically starts on Sunday with the Golden Globes and there’ll be lots more guild awards after that leading up to the Oscars so it’s fun all around. I will now give you my incredibly informed(I read far too many Oscar blogs) predictions on who will win and who I think will win.
Best Film, Drama:
  • Nominees: War Horse, Moneyball, The Descendants, The Ides of March, The Help, Hugo
  • Will Win: This one is a bit of a toss-up and will tell us the biggest competition for the current frontrunner(The Artist) but I’m gonna say it will be The Descendants.
  • Should Win: I’ve seen all of these except War Horse(really should just see it already) and Hugo is definitely the best.
Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Drama:
  • Nominees: Glenn Close(Albert Nobbs), Rooney Mara(The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo), Meryl Streep(The Iron Lady), Viola Davis(The Help), Tilda Swinton(We Need To Talk About Kevin)
  • Will Win: It’s either gonna be Viola or Meryl and whoever wins will get a huge boost for the Oscars. I’m gonna say it’ll be Viola.
  • Should Win: I haven’t seen Glenn or Meryl’s performances but otherwise, the best is Rooney Mara.
Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Drama:
  • Nominees: George Clooney(The Descendants), Brad Pitt(Moneyball), Ryan Gosling(The Ides of March), Michael Fassbender(Shame), Leonardo DiCaprio(J. Edgar)
  • Will Win: It’s gonna be George. Could be Brad but that’s doubtful.
  • Should Win: I’ve seen all of these for some reason and it is clearly Fassy who gives the best performance. If Ryan was nominated for Drive, it might be a different story.
Best Motion Picture - Comedy or Musical:
  • Nominees: 50/50, The Artist, My Week With Marilyn, Bridesmaids, Midnight in Paris
  • Will Win: The Artist. That’s not even a question.
  • Should Win: Also, The Artist and I’ve seen all of them.
Best Performance by an Actress - Comedy or Musical:
  • Nominees: Kate Winslet(Carnage), Michelle Williams(My Week With Marilyn), Jodie Foster(Carnage), Kristin Wiig(Bridesmaids), Charlize Theron(Young Adult)
  • Will Win: Michelle Williams. She’s the only one with real Oscar traction.
  • Should Win: I haven’t seen Carnage yet but otherwise, I’m definitely giving it to Charlize.
Best Performance by an Actor - Comedy or Musical:
  • Nominees: Jean Dujardin(The Artist), Joseph Gordon Levitt(50/50), Ryan Gosling(Crazy, Stupid, Love), Owen Wilson(Midnight in Paris), Brendan Gleeson(The Guard)
  • Will Win: Jean Dujardin, the only one with a possibility of an Oscar nod.
  • Should Win: Jean Dujardin but Ryan Gosling was definitely the best part of the mess that was Crazy, Stupid, Love(I know I’m the only one with this opinion)
Best Animated Feature Film:
  • Nominees: Rango, The Adventures of Tintin, Arthur Christmas, Puss in Boots, Cars 2
  • Will Win: Rango? Could be Tintin but will they go for motion capture?
  • Should Win: Winnie The Pooh. Beyond angry it’s not a nominee. Otherwise, I’ve only seen Rango and it was fine.
Best Foreign Language Film: 
  • Nominees: A Separation, In The Land of Blood and Honey, The Skin I Live In, The Flowers of War, The Kid With A Bike
  • Will Win: It's gonna be A Separation for sure.
  • Should Win: I've only seen The Skin I Live In but I loved it so I'm fine with it winning.

Best Performance by a Supporting Actress in a Motion Picture:
  • Nominees: Berenice Bejo(The Artist), Jessica Chastain(The Help), Octavia Spencer(The Help), Janet McTeer(Albert Nobbs), Shailene Woodley(The Descendants)
  • Will Win: It'll probably be Octavia.
  • Should Win: I haven't seen McTeer's performance but otherwise, I love Chastain in The Help although this is a super strong category.
Best Performance by a Supporting Actor in a Motion Picture:
  • Nominees: Jonah Hill(Moneyball), Christopher Plummer(Beginners), Albert Brooks(Drive), Kenneth Branagh(My Week With Marilyn), Viggo Mortensen(A Dangerous Method)
  • Will Win: Christopher Plummer with the possibility of a Brooks surprise.
  • Should Win: I haven't seen Mortensen but I have to go with Plummer with Brooks a close second.
Best Director - Motion Picture:
  • Nominees: Woody Allen(Midnight in Paris), Michael Hazanavicius(The Artist), George Clooney(The Ides of March), Alexander Payne(The Descendants), Martin Scorsese(Hugo)
  • Will Win: Michael Hazanavicius for The Artist, possible dissapointments with Payne and Scorsese
  • Should Win: Scorsese's movie is gorgeous and works wonderfully as a piece but Hazanavicius has much better pacing and a novel idea. Both are good choices.
Best Screenplay - Motion Picture:
  • Nominees: The Artist, Midnight in Paris, The Descendants, Moneyball, The Ides of March
  • Will Win: Sadly, it'll probably be The Descendants or Moneyball even though I consider them horrific scripts.
  • Should Win: The Artist
Best Original Score - Motion Picture:
  • Nominees: The Artist, W.E., The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, War Horse, Hugo
  • Will Win: This category could go in many directions but I'll settle for War Horse or Hugo or The Artist if it really sweeps.
  • Should Win: I haven't seen W.E. or War Horse so I don't know their scores and while The Artist is gorgeous, The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo's score is a highlight of a supremely underrated film.
Best Original Song

Madonna is nominated. Nothing else matters.

I'd do the TV ones too but I don't watch many of the shows nominated. Big hopes for Enlightened, Mildred Pierce, Laura Dern, Madeleine Stowe and Kate Winslet.

No comments:

Post a Comment